Frequently Asked Questions
Will I need to purchase skates?
- You will not have to purchase skates to attend recruitment. You may rent a pair at the venue for free. We suggest that you do not purchase skates specifically for recruitment as your equipment configurations my change as you learn new skills!
Will I need to purchase any protective gear, helmets or pads?
- You are not required to purchase any equipment for recruitment. We have a collection of donated protective gear that you are always welcome to borrow. This equipment is available on a 'first come, first serve' basis and must be returned.
Are there any fees involved in recruitment?
- There is NO FEE to take part in recruitment. Your first month of activity with the team is free.
I haven't skated in years! Should I still attend recruitment?
- YES! We all started somewhere! The majority of all derby skaters started with limited to none skating experience. You will receive extensive, focused skills training from our dedicated beginner's coaching staff. As long as you have the determination, you'll be ready for the big track in no time.
Will I get hit during recruitment?
- No. You will not be hit or practice making contact in any capacity during recruitment for your safety and the safety of others.
I don't know the rules. Will I need to learn them before I arrive?
- It is not a requirement for recruitment but passing a rules test is part of becoming an active, rostered skater. We encourage anyone who is interested to get familiar with the basics to make sure this sport is right for you!
There are two workshops during recruitment week. Do I have to come to both?
- In order to get the most out of recruitment, we prefer that you come to both if possible but it is only required that you attend one recruitment workshop during a recruitment week.
Do I have to skate at recruitment or can I just watch?
- You must be willing and able to skate at the time of recruitment to join TCR as a skater. If you are interested in being a Non skating official or referee, skating at recruitment is not required.
I'm not old enough to join the Tragic City Rollers but I really want to get involved with Roller Derby!
- Check out Birmingham Jr. Roller Derby on Facebook for more info on Birmingham's up and coming junior roller derby league OR email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on how to get involved.
Can I bring my kids?
- Recruitment is an open event, therefore, families are welcome, however, TCR does not provide childcare. We ask that children and family who attend recruitment be respectful of Skates 280's facilities, TCR skaters and personnel, and TCR skaters and personnel property.
- Practices following recruitment are closed. Attendance by anyone other than TCR skaters, refs, and NSO's will need to be cleared with our Board of Directors prior to their attendance. No exceptions.
I can't make the recruitment dates, but I really want to join soon. What can I do?
- We understand life comes first so please contact us! We'll work with you!
I used to skate with another league. Can I transfer or will I need to wait for the next recruitment?
- If you have current WFTDA insurance and pass the minimum skills test you can apply to transfer. Please contact us before the next recruitment so we can help you find your best option.